Contractor Registration & State Licensing Requirements

English | Español

Contractor Registration

All contractors doing business within the Town shall register with the Community Development Department.

A contractor registration form and a copy of your state registration card are required.

  • Homebuilders General Contractor
  • Mechanical Contractor

State Contractor Licensing

The SC Contractor's Licensing Act requires general and mechanical construction to be performed by licensed contractors.

The SC Department of Labor and Licensing (LLR) is responsible for regulating contractor licensing.

Residential Builders Commission

Residential licenses and registrations are limited to work in residential structures that are no more than three stories and no more than 16 units under one roof.

The SC Residential Builders Commission issues three types of licenses/registrations.

  1. A Residential Specialty registration allows an individual to select three trades in which to contract work.
    • The specialty contractor cannot contract for or supervise outside the scope of his registered trade(s).
    • Registration forms are available at Town Hall.
    • A bond is required for work that exceeds $5,000.
  2. A SC Residential Home Builder's license allows the builder to contract for work that involves all of the residential building trades.
    • This license requires you to take a test and fill out financial forms.
    • You must have a bond for at least $15,000.
  3. A SC Residential Mechanical license allows an individual to contract and perform residential mechanical work- plumbing, electrical and hvac.
    • This license requires a test and a bond.
  4. For more information about state contractor licensing, visit the SC Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation at or call their licensing information line at 803-896-4300.

    Town Licensing for Irrigation Installers

    We require a Trade Certificate for Irrigation Installers.

    • Trade Certificates are issued for a one year period.
    • The fee for Irrigation Installers Trade Certificate is initially $25 and $10 for renewals received by December 31st of each year.
    • A $20 fee will be charged for late renewals.

    Do I need a business license?

    Yes. Anyone doing business within the Town is required to have a Town of Hilton Head Island Business License.