Insure Your Property for Your Flood Hazard

You live on an island, you should have flood insurance!

All Town residents are eligible for flood insurance because the Town participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

  • Flood insurance provides coverage for damage due to flooding, flood-related erosion, and flood-caused mudslides. Standard homeowner insurance policies do not provide this coverage.
  • Check your policy carefully. Separate coverage can be obtained for a building's structure and its contents.
  • You do not have to hold a mortgage to purchase flood insurance.
  • Renters can buy contents coverage policies to protect their personal property, even if the property owner does not buy structural coverage for the building.
  • Any house in an NFIP-participating community can be covered by a flood insurance policy even if the house is not in the high-risk zone. Homes subject to a lower flood risk are eligible for a Preferred Risk Policy.

Find out more information about purchasing flood insurance at or contact a local licensed insurance agent to get the best rate.