• Text Size:
  • A
  • A
  • A

Planning, Development & Building ConstructionHilton Head Island Zoning

Official Zoning Map for the Town of Hilton Head Island pdf icon

Zoning Search

The State of South Carolina allows the Town to adopt Zoning Districts to regulate land use location and density (number of dwelling units or size of buildings) and other zoning functions (height, buffers, setbacks, etc.). These zones promote public health, safety, morals, convenience, order, appearance, prosperity and general welfare, and implement plans for future growth and development as set forth in the Land Use Element of the Comprehensive Plan.

The Town adopted these zoning districts in its Land Management Ordinance (LMO)external link icon. Official changes may be made to the zoning districts through a Zoning Map Amendment (ZMA). This ZMA could allow different land uses and density requirements for a property. ZMAs must be reviewed by the Planning Commission and Town Council for final adoption.

More on how to apply for a Zoning Map Amendment...

Other changes to certain zoning functions may be achieved through a Variance or Special Exception application:

  • Variance is a departure from the strict terms or provisions of the LMO where enforcement of the LMO would result in unnecessary and undue hardship to the applicant. In granting the variance, the spirit of the LMO will be observed, and public welfare and safety will not be diminished. A variance will be reviewed by the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). More on how to apply for a Variance...

  • Special Exception is a technique that allows land uses subject to standards and conditions in the LMO. These standards and conditions could relate to access, noise, screening, lighting, compatibility with adjoining uses and traffic generation. A special exception will be reviewed by the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). More on how to apply for a Special Exception...

More Information

For questions regarding zoning, please contact the Community Development Information Center email icon at 843- 341-4757.