• Text Size:
  • A
  • A
  • A

Planning, Development & Building ConstructionReview Board Approval

The type and extent of your project will determine if you will be required to seek any board approval. Most commercial projects must receive the Design Review Board approval. Your Town Staff Project Manager will advise you as to the need for other board or commission reviews.

For typical development or redevelopment projects, the following board, commission, or committee would be required to review certain aspects of your plans:

  • Design Review Board (DRB) will review new development elevations (conceptual and final), alterations and additions, and large signs. This Board preserves and protects significant or natural scenic areas or historic and architecturally valuable neighborhoods, and protects and/or provisions for the unique, special or desired character of a defined district, corridor or development area.

  • Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) will review any variances or special exceptions. In addition, they will determine any appeals of administrative decisions made by the LMO Official.

  • Construction Board of Adjustments and Appeals (CBAA) reviews applications on variances from the Base Flood Elevation, rules on appeals based on a claim that the true intent of the building code has been incorrectly interpreted by the Building Official, and certain public nuisance violations.

  • Planning Commission (PC) will review Zoning Map Amendments (ZMA) and modified street names. They have the duty to engage in a continuous planning program for the physical, social and economic growth, development and redevelopment of the Town. They have the authority to prepare and revise comprehensive plans and programs, and recommend measures for implementing the plan which could include zoning ordinances, subdivision regulations,official maps, landscaping ordinance, capital improvement program, and policies and procedures.

  • Public Planning Committee is a sub-committee of the Town Council charged with reviewing those items that will appear before the Town Council regarding planning, land use, and growth management. They are a recommending body to Town Council with the intent of providing a forum for in-depth discussion of the project prior to its appearance before the Town Council.

  • Town Council gives final approval on ZMAs. They are the elected governing body with legislative powers.

More Information

For questions regarding review boards, please contact the Community Development Information Center email icon at 843-341-4757.