• Text Size:
  • A
  • A
  • A

Planning, Development & Building ConstructionIndividual Manufactured Home

One Home on a Vacant Lot

The following explains what you need to do to have your manufactured home placed on a vacant lot within the Town of Hilton Head Island.

When deciding where to place your home, you must take into account the existing homes on your neighbor's property. Your home must be a certain distance from any other homes for fire safety. The Town does not have any required distance your home must be from side or rear lot lines, but it must be 6 feet 2 inches from neighboring homes.

In addition, your home must be at least 20 feet from the property line along the street regardless of whether the street is public or private, and 50 feet if the street is an arterial. Ask at the Community Development Information Center to see if your street is an arterial: examples are William Hilton Parkway, Marshland Road, Dillon Road, Spanish Wells Road and Squire Pope Road.

Finally, your home must be at least 20 feet from the tidal marsh, delineated by the State as the OCRM Critical Line. If your home is close to the marsh, you will need to have a survey done by a registered surveyor showing the location of the Critical Line and the location of the house.

There are a number of costs involved in the process outline . They include:

  • having a surveyor install a benchmark if the land is in the flood zone;
  • having your septic system designed and installed;
  • having a licensed electrician wire for electrical power from the service pole to the home;
  • having a licensed mechanical contractor connect the HVAC system;
  • Palmetto Electric for getting electrical power to the site;
  • Town of Hilton Head Manufactured Home Permit fee;
  • Town of Hilton Head Transportation Impact fee;
  • Beaufort County registration fee;
  • Beaufort County Impact Fees. Information on these fees is available from the County at (843)757-1506.

Driveway Access:

You may be required to obtain a permit (called an encroachment permit) to allow you to use a driveway or build a new driveway into your home site. There are four different categories of roads in the town: State Roads, County Roads, Town Roads and Private Roads. The Community Development Information Center has a listing of these roads. Please note that this is not a part of the Community Development Department approval, this information is being provided as a courtesy.

Application forms for encroachment permits are available from the Engineering Division at Town Hall.

Before your electrical power can be turned on to your home, you must do the following:

Step 1: Get your Individual Manufactured Home Planning Approval from the Community Development Department. Come to the Community Development Information Center in Town Hall and bring the following items:

  • If you own the property, proof of ownership: either a property deed or a paid property tax receipt with your name on it.
  • If you do not own the property: a notarized letter signed by the owner giving you permission to place your home on the property. This letter must include the tax district, map and parcel number.
  • A copy of a survey showing the proposed location of the house, the approximate location of the septic system, and the driveway. Please note that the house must be a minimum of 20 feet from the street, and 50 feet from arterial streets.
  • The color of the house.
  • The size of the house (single, double or triple wide, and the square feet.
  • If you have brought all of these items, a Planning Assistant will fill out the paperwork and you will get your Individual Manufactured Home Planning Approval at that time. There is no fee for this.

If you have any questions on the following steps, please call the Community Development Information Centeremail icon at 843-341-4757.

Step 2: Get the flood zone determination from the Community Development Department.

Bring your Individual Manufactured Home Planning Approval to Town Hall, and ask for a flood zone determination. They will write it on your Approval form. If your home will be in a flood zone, you must arrange for a surveyor to put up a benchmark before the home is delivered, which shows the installer how high the home must be elevated. After the house is installed, the surveyor will return and certify that it is at the correct height. He will give you two copies of the elevation certificate.

Step 3: Get the septic system designed, installed, and approved. The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) will approve the design and then the installation. The final approval is done when the form is signed by DHEC in both places at the bottom of the form. Call them at 843-757-2251 for more information.

Step 4: Get the home registered with Beaufort County.

You will need to go to either the County Building Department in Beaufort or Bluffton at 4819 Bluffton Parkway, 3rd Floor (757-1506 - hours 8-12 and 1-4). You will not be able to do this until the new address is in the County's computer, usually 1-2 days after it is assigned by the Town. Take the following paperwork with you when you go:

  • a copy of the Town of Hilton Head Island Community Development Department Individual Manufactured Home Planning Approval with Flood Zone indicated.
  • a copy of the Bill of Sale for the home.
  • title or proof that you have applied for title.
  • a plat or site plan of the property showing where the home will be placed.
  • the septic system final approval, signed by DHEC in both places at the bottom of the form.
  • specification regarding Wind Zone II. (Call the County for information)

Step 5: Get your Manufactured Home Permit from the Town's Community Development Department (843-341-4757).

Take the following paperwork with you when you visit the department:

  • a copy of the Town of Hilton Head Island Community Development Department Individual Manufactured Home Planning Approval with the Flood Zone indicated.
  • a copy of the Beaufort County registration.
  • the septic system final approval signed by DHEC in both places at the bottom of the form.
  • additional plans for site built items: foundation plan if the home will be permanently installed, and drawings of the stairs and landings if they are to be built on site.
  • the Transportation Impact Fee.
  • the Beaufort County Impact Fees.
  • the permit fee.

Step 6: After you get your Building Permit you must do the following:

  • make arrangements for electric service to your home through Palmetto Electric.
  • get the home installed on the lot. Your installer must have a South Carolina license for Manufactured Home Installation. The home must be installed to the correct height and in the correct location. There Must be a landing and steps in compliance with Town Codes at each exterior door.
  • get the electrical wiring and HVAC system connected. You need to hire a licensed electrician to connect your house to the service pole. The ditch for the wiring from the pole to the home must be left uncovered until after the Town's inspection. You will also need to hire a licensed mechanical contractor to connect the HVAC system. Mechanical Certificates must be filled out and signed by the electrician and mechanical contractor doing the work (one certificate for each).
  • get the Surveyor to certify the elevation of the home.
  • bring the signed and notarized Mechanical Certificates from the electrician and the HVAC contractor as well as the elevation certificates (2 copies) back to the Community Development Department.
  • address must be posted in compliance with town regulations and county registration sticker must be in front window.
  • arrange for an inspection by the Town's Inspections/Compliance Division. Call 341-4750 to arrange for an inspection.

After the home passes inspection, the Town will notify Palmetto Electric to have the power turned on.

CONGRATULATIONS! you are now ready to move into your new home.