• Text Size:
  • A
  • A
  • A

Planning, Development & Building ConstructionFamily Housing Development

2 - 5 Homes on a Single Parcel

The following explains what you need to do to have your manufactured home placed on a lot when there are between 1 and 5 other homes on the same parcel. If you are placing a home on a site where another manufactured home was before, please use the information for "One Home Replacing Another".

The Town of Hilton Head Island has recently adopted new regulations for Family Housing Developments, which are neighborhoods where there are between 2 and 5 homes on a single parcel of land (as defined on the Beaufort County Tax Map). If you are adding a new home to a parcel which has between 1 and 4 homes already on it, you must follow the process as described on this page. If you are adding a home to a parcel which has 5 or more homes on it, you must follow the process as described on this website titled "Manufactured Housing Parks". If you are replacing a home which already exists, regardless of whether it is on a parcel by itself or with other homes, you need to follow the process described on this website "One Home Replacing Another".

Family Housing Developments are permitted in any district that allows multi-family residential use.

Dimensional Requirements:

  1. The density cannot exceed the density allowed for the underlying zoning district. Please note that you are limited to a maximum of 5 units on a single parcel in a Family Housing Development.
  2. There must be a setback from the street right-of-way to each home: 50 feet if the street is a major arterial, 40 feet for a minor arterial, and 20 feet for any other street (public or private).
  3. The home must be set back from the side and rear property lines by a minimum of 10 feet unless noted otherwise on the approved site plan.
  4. The homes must be set back a minimum of 20 feet from the OCRM Critical Line.
  5. Parking spaces must be provided on each home site for two (2) vehicles.

Other Requirements

There are a number of costs involved in this process. They include:

  • having a surveyor prepare the site plan and install flood zone benchmarks for each home;
  • having septic systems designed and installed;
  • having a licensed electrician wire for electrical power from the pole to the home;
  • having a licensed mechanical contractor connect the HVAC system;
  • Palmetto Electric for getting electrical power to the site;
  • Town of Hilton Head Island Manufactured Home Permit fee;
  • Beaufort County registration fee;
  • Abbreviated Development Plan Review fee per new home;
  • Impact fees.

Driveway Access

You may be required to obtain a permit (called an encroachment permit) to allow you to use a driveway or build a new driveway into your home site. There are four different categories of roads in the town: State Roads, County Roads, Town Roads and Private Roads. The Community Development Information Center has a listing of these roads. Please note that this is not a part of the Community Development Department approval, this information is being provided as a courtesy.

Application forms for encroachment permits are available from the Engineering Department at Town Hall.

Before you can get your electrical power turned on to your home, you will need to do the following:

Get Planning Approval:

A 1: Get the septic system designed and approved. You must get a septic system designed and approved for each new house. The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) will approve the design at this point, and after it is installed they will approve the installation. Call them at 843-757-2251 for more information. You must have a separate septic system for each house on the parcel.

A 2: Get an Abbreviated Development Plan Review Approval from the Town of Hilton Head Island Community Development Department. Come to the Community Development Information Center in Town Hall.

The landowner needs to fill out two forms:

  • Master Application
  • Abbreviated Development Plan Review (ADPR) Application

He/she needs to call us at (843)341-4757 and make an appointment to see one of the Planners to submit the application. The owner needs to bring those two forms and the following items to the appointment in the Community Development Department:

  • site plan prepared, signed, and sealed by a South Carolina registered land surveyor of the proposed Family Housing Development, drawn to scale, showing at minimum the following:
    • location of the property (vicinity map)
    • the property boundaries
    • OCRM Critical Line (if applicable
    • roads
    • the location of existing houses and their septic systems
    • location and dimensions of proposed house sites including their septic systems
    • driveways to existing and proposed houses.
  • proof of ownership - this will be one of the following: title to the property, a deed to the property, or a paid property tax receipt with your name on it for the property.
  • certification of owner's consent.
  • proof of an approved sewage disposal system - either a copy of the DHEC septic system design approval, if the site is not serviced with public sewer, or a copy of a letter from the Public Service District stating that they will provide sewer service.
  • a copy of the encroachment permit, if required. If the road is a State road, this will be a SCDOT permit, if a County road, it will be a Beaufort County permit, and if a Town road, it will be a Town of Hilton Head Island permit.
  • a copy of draft legal documents for access or other easements, if needed.
  • a letter explaining what the proposal is - for example, to add one new house to a lot with two existing houses on it.
  • a check for fees for each new house to be placed on the lot, made payable to the Town of Hilton Head Island.

Once you have provided all the above to the Community Development Department, a Planner from the Community Development Department will review the file and if everything is complete and acceptable, will approve the ADPR and prepare a Notice of Action which you will bring to the Community Development Department later in the process.

Next, get permit from Community Development

If you have any questions on the following steps, please call the Community Development Department at 843-341-4757

B 1. Get a flood zone determination for each new home from the Town of Hilton Head Island Community Development Department.

Bring your ADPR Notice of Action (from step A2) to the Town Hall, and ask for a flood zone determination. They will write it on your Notice of Action. If your home will be in a flood zone, you must arrange for a surveyor to put up a benchmark before the home is delivered, which shows the installer how high the home must be elevated. After the house is installed, the surveyor will return and certify that the home is at the correct height. He will give you two copies of the elevation certificate.

B 2. Get the septic system installed and approved for each new home.

Have the contractor install the septic system and get it inspected by DHEC. When DHEC grants their final approval, they will sign the form in the second space at the bottom of the form. The septic system does not have final approval until DHEC has signed both places at the bottom of the form.

B 3: Get each new home registered with Beaufort County.

This can be done at the County Building Department in Beaufort at 100 Ribaut Road or call 843-255-2065. If you have been assigned a new address, you will not be able to do this until the new address is in the County's computer, usually 1-2 days after it is assigned by the Town. Bring the following paperwork with you when you go:

  • a copy of the Town of Hilton Head Island Community Development Department ADPR Notice of Action with the Flood Zone indicated. (from steps listed above)
  • a copy of the Bill of Sale for the home.
  • title or proof that you have applied for title.
  • a copy of the site plan of the property showing where the home will be placed.
  • the septic system final approval, signed by DHEC in both places at the bottom of the form. (from steps listed above)
  • specification regarding Wind Zone II. (Call the County for information)

B 4: Get your Manufactured Home Permit for each new home from the Town of Hilton Head Island Community Development Department (843-341-4757).

Take the following paperwork with you when you visit the department:

  • a copy of the Town of Hilton Head Island Community Development Department ADPR Notice of Action.
  • a copy of the Beaufort County registration.
  • the septic system final approval signed by DHEC in both places at the bottom of the form.
  • additional plans for site built items: foundation plan if the home will be permanently installed on a foundation, and drawings of any stairs and landings if they are to be built on site.
  • the Transportation Impact Fee.
  • the Beaufort County Impact Fees.
  • the permit fee.

B 5: Make arrangements for electric service to each new home.

After you have obtained your building permit, you can go to Palmetto Electric to arrange for electric service to your home site.

B 6: Get the home(s) installed on the lot.

  • The installer must have a State of South Carolina license for Manufactured Home Installation. The home must be installed to the correct height and in the correct position for connection to the septic system. There must be a landing and steps in compliance with Town Codes at each exterior doorway in order to receive final approval from the Community Development Department.

B 7: Get the electrical wiring and HVAC system connected for each new home.

You need to hire a licensed electrician to wire for electrical power from the service pole to the home. The ditch for the wiring from the pole to the home must be left uncovered until after the Town's inspection. You will also need to hire a licensed mechanical contractor to connect the HVAC system. Mechanical Certificates must be filled out and signed by the electrician and mechanical contractor doing the work (one certificate for each).

B 8: Get the surveyor to certify the elevation of each home.

If the home is within a flood zone, then the surveyor must return to the site to measure the height of the home as installed, and if it is installed at the correct height, he will give you two elevation certificates.

B 9: Bring the remaining paperwork to the Community Development Department.

Bring the following paperwork to the Town Inspections/Compliance Division to complete your file:

  • Signed and notarized Mechanical Certificates for the electrical wiring from the pole to the home and for the HVAC (from step 7)
  • Elevation certificates.(from step 8)

B 10: Arrange for an inspection by the Town's Community Development Department.

Call the Department's answering machine at (843)341-4677 to arrange for an inspection. If your file is complete (that is, if all the paperwork has been submitted) then the inspection will be done the next business day. You must:

  • be present for the inspection to take place
  • have your Manufactured Home Installation Manual available
  • have the address posted
  • have the County registration sticker posted

After the home installation has passed inspection, the Town will call Palmetto Electric to have the power turned on to your home(s).