Resources for Assistance
Below is a list of resources that are available to you and your families for assistance following Hurricane Matthew:
- ****Call 211 if You Need Help Recovering from Hurricane Matthew****
South Carolina residents continuing to recover from Hurricane Matthew should call 2-1-1 for any assistance if their needs for food, clothing and shelter are not being met. Callers will be connected to local relief supplies where available.
- Individual Assistance: Information, resources, and tips for individuals affected by a recent disaster.
- Samaritan's Purse: Assistance with tree removal and debris. Please call 843-295-2408
- Free Home Cleanup Hotline: 1-800-451-1954
- Multi-Agency Clean-Up Assistance Hotline at 1-800-451-1954
- Price Gouging: If you suspect price gouging, tweet pictures and documentation to @SCPriceGouging, call 803-737-3953 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, visit www.scag.gov/archives/29113.
- Price Gouging Message from Beaufort County Sheriffâ€™s Office: There have been many concerns from citizens regarding inflated prices for cleanup/tree services and the legitimacy of out-of-state companies operating in Beaufort County since Hurricane Matthew. Our recommendations to citizens are as follows:
- If you think the price is inflated, we urge you to obtain an estimate from another company.
- Ensure the company is properly licensed, bonded and insured by asking to see their professional licenses and associated documents. If they fail to provide documentation, do not hire them. You can also research companies online for customer reviews and legitimacy.
- Thus far there have been no known cases of price gouging, although significant price differences have been seen in estimates from companies offering the same services. If you feel there is price gouging involved, please contact Sheriff's Office Emergency Dispatch 843-524-2777 and we will investigate.
- Insurance Claims: The South Carolina Department of Insurance will host Catastrophe Claims Centers in affected areas to help constituents with processing insurance claims. For more information, please visit www.doi.sc.gov/847/Hurricane-Matthew-Storm-Preparedness.
- Well Testing: For citizens who need to test their private wells, please contact the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) at 803-898-4312.
- Property Repairs: Be on the lookout for scams when you begin the task of securing repairs for your home. Go to the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation at www.llr.sc.gov for tips and articles on consumer protection after Hurricane Matthew.
Please continually check the Town's Website at www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov for Disaster Recovery Information and Debris Removal and like the Town's Facebook Page for updates on disaster recovery efforts and services available.