• Text Size:
  • A
  • A
  • A

Media Release

Hilton Head Island Fire Rescue awarded a Federal grant for the purchase of 12 Cardiac Monitors

Release Date: January 25, 2016

Contact Information:
Brad Tadlock email icon , Fire Chief, 843-682-5153


Hilton Head Island Fire Rescue has been awarded a federal grant in the amount of $471,306 for the purchase of 12 cardiac monitors through the Department of Homeland Security's Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) program. The AFG program is administered by the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency in cooperation with the U.S. Fire Administration.

This grant will allow Fire Rescue to update current monitors with the most recent technology developed in accordance with the latest American Heart Association guidelines. The cardiac monitors are used by paramedics to monitor the patient's heart rhythm during medical emergencies and transmit the electrocardiography (ECG) to the local hospital.

Town Council voted to accept the grant at the January 19th Council meeting. The grant award of $471,306 covers 90% of the total cost of the 12 cardiac monitors. The Town is responsible for the remaining 10 % of the cost of the monitors.

The FY 2014 Assistance to Firefighter Grant (AFG) Funding has an appropriation of $306 million to support Fire and EMS Operations and Safety Grants, Firefighting and Emergency Vehicle Grants, and Fire Prevention and Safety Grants.