Hilton Head Island Special Event Ordinance
Due to Hurricane Matthew, Special Event Applications i.e. outdoor events with 500 or more expected in attendance are not being considered until further notice.
The Special Event Ordinance was adopted to assist the Community in providing and coordinating year- round events for the public by ensuring events are both safe and meet the basic needs of participants. An event may be required to obtain approvals and permits for the following: adequate parking and traffic flow, sanitation, security, police, fire and safety protection.
A Town Special Event permit may be required if your event meets any of the following criteria:
- The event is an outdoor musical, concert, festival, fair, carnival, which may be expected to have five hundred (500) or more in attendance at any one time? (Final attendance estimate may be determined by the Town).
- The event requires the use of any temporary structures, including grandstands or tents and which may be expected to have three thousand (3000) or more people at any one time.
- The event will be held at an outdoor place of public assembly for the gathering together of persons for commercial, civic or social functions or recreation for food or drink consumption which may be expected to have five hundred (500) or more people at any one time.
If the required permits are not obtained, you may be subject to fines or other legal action.
Event is to be held at a personal residence.
- Event is to be held within a permanent facility specifically approved and permitted for the proposed activity.
- Event is conducted by a duly authorized residential property owner's association, occurs entirely within the area of its jurisdiction, is arranged primarily for the benefit of association members, generates minimal outside traffic, and does not benefit any outside organization. However, if the event has any mechanical amusement rides, grand-stands, stages, tents or groups of tents, you may still be required to obtain Town inspections and permits.
For further information on special events, please contact the Town's Special Event Coordinator at 843-341-4639.
Special Event Application
Please submit the completed Special Event application with filing fee to the Town of Hilton Head Island at One Town Center Court, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928.
Additional Permit Requirements
You may not be required to obtain a Town Special Event permit but you may be required to obtain other Town permits. If the event meets any of the following criteraia you may still be required to obtain a permit, approval, or both from one or more Town departments.
- The event requires any structures to be built; such as booths, stands, etc. Please contact the Community Development Information Center at 843-341-4757.
- The event requires the use of a tent or canopy that is 10' by 12', 120 square feet or larger. Please contact the Community Development Information Center at 843-341-4757.
- The event requires any electrical hook up. Please contact the Community Development Information Center at 843-341-4757.
- The event include amusement rides.Please contact the Community Development Information Center at 843-341-4757.
- Part of the event takes place on the beach. Please contact Facilites Management at 843-342-4580.
- Part of the event take place on commercial property or outdoors. Please contact the Community Development Information Center at 843-341-4757.