Zoning Map Amendments (Rezoning)
What is a Rezoning or Zoning Map Amendment?
It is an official change in the zoning district of a property, allowing different land uses (residential, commercial, industrial, etc.) and density (number of dwelling units or size of buildings) requirements on that property.
Who can apply?
Rezonings are initiated by the property owner, Town Council, Planning Commission or the Town Manager.
When to apply?
Complete applications must be submitted at least 30 days before the Planning Commission meeting. See the Planning Commission schedule for meeting and application deadline dates.
General Rezoning Timeline and Process
Note: Time is measured in calendar days
How to apply for a Rezoning
Hard Copy: Complete and submit the Rezoning Application
Staff at Town Hall will assist with the following:
- Assign a Project Manager to oversee the application process.
- Coordinate with the applicant regarding the Public Hearing date and status of application.
- Notify the public of the Public Hearing through an advertisement in the newspaper and by posting a sign on the property.
- Prepare a report listing Staff's recommendation to the Planning Commission.
Applicant is responsible for and is required by law to...
- Submit a narrative listing the reason for the rezoning request that includes the following criteria:
Submit other required items:
- Is in accordance with the Comprehensive Plan;
- Would allow a range of uses that are compatible with the uses allowed
on other property in the immediate vicinity;
- Is appropriate for the land;
- Addresses a demonstrated community need;
- Is consistent with the overall zoning program as expressed in future plans
for the Town;
- Would avoid creating an inappropriately isolated zoning district unrelated
to adjacent and surrounding zoning districts;
- Would allow the subject property to be put to a reasonably viable
- Would result in development that can be served by available, adequate,
and suitable public facilities (e.g., streets, potable water, sewerage,
stormwater management); and
- Is appropriate due to any changed or changing conditions in the
Instructions for the Public Hearing Notice to be sent to nearby property owners:
- Boundary map 11" x 17" signed and sealed by a registered surveyor
- Property owners' written consent
- Review fee
- Notices to property owners within 350 feet regarding the Public Hearing date and time
- At least 7 days before the public hearing, submit an affidavit of compliance stating that the Property Owner Notice has been sent via certified mail.
- If applicable, proof that appropriate property owners' associations were notified and solicit any comments in writing to be sent to the Project Manager and the applicant within 14 days of receipt of notification.
- Addresses are listed with the Beaufort County Tax Assessor's office in Beaufort 843-470-2522.
- Must be certified mailed at least 15 days before the public hearing; and,
- Must include the date, time and location of the public hearing. It is also recommended that details of the request be included.
- The Planning Commission (PC) will review the application at the Public Hearing.
- The Project Manager will present the report to the PC for their review.
- Applicants are encouraged to speak before the PC in support of their request.
- The PC will make a recommendation to Town Council (TC) for either approval or denial of the application. Please be aware-- this is only a recommendation. Town Council has final determination.
- After the PC Public Hearing, Town Council will review the application.
- Rezoning applications must be approved by passage of an ordinance. An ordinance must go through two readings of Town Council at two separate meetings.
- The Project Manager will notify the applicant of the TC meeting place, date and time.
- Once Town Council has made their decision, the Project Manager will notify the applicant.
Please refer to Section 16-2-103.C of the LMO
for more details.
For questions regarding review boards, please contact the Community Development Information Center at 843-341-4757.