Mathews Drive/Marshland Road Roundabout
Construct Roundabout at 3-way intersection.
The purpose of the project is to increase safety, circulation, and the aesthetic character of the area. The scope of the project includes creating a single lane roundabout at Mathews Drive and Marshland Road, with a dedicated right turn lane from Marshland Road to Mathews Drive. This is the last phase of the Mathews Drive corridor improvement plans. The Mathews Drive South roadway and pathway improvements were completed in 2008, the Mathews Drive North pathway and roundabout at Mathews Drive and Beach City Road were completed in 2011, and the Town owned Mathews Drive Side Streets rehabilitation project was completed in 2014.
Enhance traffic circulation and improve safety in the Mathews Drive Corridor.
Projected Construction Start Date: January 5, 2015
Estimated Completion Date: April 17, 2015
Project Engineer: Infrastructure Consulting & Engineering
Construction Contract Awarded To: The Lane Construction Corporation
Funding Sources: TIF
Estimated Cost of Project: Approximately $850,000
Jennifer Lyle , Assistant Town Engineer,
2/2/2016 - The American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) has awarded the Town of Hilton Head Island and its engineering consultant, Infrastructure Consulting & Engineering, PLLC of Charleston, South Carolina, the Engineering Excellence Award for the Mathews Drive – Marshland Road Roundabout Project. ACEC was formed in 1909 and represents our state and nation’s engineering industry. This project was the culmination of years of planning, engineering, land acquisition, and permitting, and has been extremely successful, alleviating traffic congestion, avoiding impacts to surrounding natural resources, and suffering no severe traffic accidents since construction was completed in April, 2015.
4/17/2015 - Project Completed.
What Happened the Week of March 23, 2015
- Concrete to be formed and poured for the new planted medians on Marshland Road approaching the roundabout
- Left turn lane detour scheduled to end
- Temporary pavement markings an signs to be installed for new roundabout
- Removal of existing pavement on Mathews Drive coming southbound to the roundabout scheduled
What Happened the Week of March 16, 2015
- Concrete formed and poured for new planted medians on Mathews Drive approaching the roundabout
- Base and intermediate asphalt course of asphalt installed on right turn movement from Marshland Road to Mathews Drive
- Stormwater pipe installed under Mathews Drive
What Happened the Week of March 9, 2015
- Oyster shell concrete poured and completed for the remainder of the roundabout truck apron
- Asphalt removal for new planted medians
What Happened the Week of March 2, 2015
- Left turns from Marshland Road to Mathews Drive and left turns from Mathews Drive to Marshland Road became unavailable
- Detour for left turns from Marshland Road directed to Leg-O- Mutton Road to Gardner Drive to William Hilton Parkway or turn right onto Mathews Drive to William Hilton Parkway
- Left turns from Mathews Drive to Marshland Road detoured to the next traffic circle at Port Royal Plaza or to William Hilton Parkway
- Demolition of existing asphalt for the new traffic circle interior
- Grading and Compaction for the western side of the roundabout
- Interior concrete curb poured for the remainder of the roundabout
What Happened the Week of February 23, 2015
- Concrete curb formed and poured for the right turn from Marshland Road to Mathews Drive
Photo Display for the ACAE Engineering Excellence Award for the Mathews Drive – Marshland Road Roundabout Project.
Concrete Curb Installation on Mathews
Truck Apron Oyster Shell Concrete Installation
- View More Photos...