Mayor's Honored Islander Award
Selects Hilton Head Island residents who make a significant sacrifice of their time, talents and/or resources, to better the community without compensation or significant public/media attention to be publicly honored by the Mayor.
The Mayor will publicly recognize those Hilton Head Island residents who make a significant sacrifice of their time, talents and/or resources, to better the community without compensation or significant public/media attention.
- The Mayor shall appoint citizens of Hilton Head Island to serve on a selection committee. The Mayor shall also name the chairperson of such Committee.
- Nominations for the award shall be solicited by Committee members, the Town Website, and by means of an annual press release.
- Nominations may be received from Committee members, individuals, local officials, civic and professional organizations and other non-profit groups to be considered by the Committee.
- Each nomination will be accompanied by a Nomination Form sufficient to describe the nominee's contribution to the community and measure their eligibility (see Criteria below).
- Nomination forms received shall be promptly forwarded to the Committee Chairperson.
- The Chairperson shall verify eligibility.
- The Chairperson shall provide copies to all Committee members and schedule meetings of the Committee to review the nomination forms received and select honorees on a quarterly basis.
- The Chairperson shall forward the Committee’s quarterly honorees selected to Staff Support, along with nomination forms and any supporting documentation.
- Staff Support will advise the Mayor of the Committee’s selections and receive approval from the Mayor to proceed.
- The Mayor shall notify recipients by letter within the quarter in which they are selected to: (1) invite them to attend a Town Council meeting and receive their Certificate of Honor, and (2) to attend and bring a spouse/guest to a semi-annual dinner hosted by the Mayor. Honorees' Town Council representatives will also be invited.
- "Certificates of Honor" will be presented by the Mayor to the honorees at quarterly Town Council meetings.
- Semi-annual dinners will be held (currently hosted by Hudson's Seafood House on the Docks).
- A media release will be distributed by the Mayor’s office prior to the semi-annual dinners announcing the honorees.
Criteria for Selection
- Individuals should be judged on the basis of their service to others, professional excellence, civic and professional recognition and community activities.
- There shall be no age limitation to be eligible for selection.
- Nominees should live on Hilton Head Island and do the focus of their volunteer endeavors for Island organizations and should have made an identifiable significant impact to the Hilton Head Island community.
- Nomination form shall request information regarding nominee’s participation in Island community, together with criteria questions to be completed by Committee/Staff.
- Committee should make every effort to honor those individuals whose important contributions to the community may not otherwise be recognized through the media and or their volunteer organizations.
Mayor's Honorees Nomination Form